Friends of The James V Brown Library
The mission of the Friends of the Library is to assist the Library by funding materials, programs, and services beyond the Library’s regular budget, encourage volunteer service, promote the value of the Library to the citizens of Lycoming County, and advocate support of the Library.
Membership in Friends Association
The Friends association consists of all who pay the annual dues of $20 or more depending on the selected membership category.
Benefits of membership include admission to Friends only “Thursday preview night” at both the spring and fall public book sales, monthly specials at the Friends Bookstore, and the bi-monthly Shades of Brown award-winning newsletter with updates on Library and Friends activities. There is a general membership meeting annually.
To become a member of the Friends or renew your membership, fill out the form below, or click here and then print and mail (or drop off) the completed form to the library at.
James V. Brown Library
Friends of the JV Brown Library
19 East Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA 17701
How You Can Support the Friends
- Become a member! Membership contributions make up over half of the Friends’ annual revenue and play a major role in our ability to fund special requests from the Library.
- Donate books, audio books, DVDs and music CDs you no longer need for resale in our bookstore and at spring and fall public book sales – our major fund raisers. (No moldy oldies please since we cannot resell them.)
- Purchase books, DVDs and/or music CDs at the Friends Bookstore.
- Attend our bargain-filled Book Sales in the spring and fall.
- Spread the word – tell friends/relatives/co-workers about our spring and fall Book Sales and our Used Book Store.
- Attend Friends-sponsored Book Review Luncheons generally scheduled on the first Friday of October, November, December, February, March, April and May.
- Support various other fund raisers during the year as announced.
- Volunteer at the book store, book sales, sorting area, or to help with mailings.
Where the Money Goes When You Support the Friends
- The following list provides information on some of the programs and services the Friends have supported in the last 3 years. As you can see, the money from your membership and donations is used wisely!
- $5,000 each year as a Corporate Sponsor of the Library’s Summer Reading Program.
- $10,000 each year to help underwrite the author’s fee for the Author Gala.
- $9,000 to underwrite a 3-year agreement for the Library to host “Connect Williamsport”.
- Sponsorship of the annual Volunteer Recognition event.
- $5,000 to cover the cost of the license for the Mango Language program available to Library card holders via the Library’s website.
- $4,000 toward the construction of the room for the One Button Studio on the second floor of the Library.
- $5,000 for the purchase of a one-year contract to add large print books to the Library’s collection.
- $1,500 for the Movie License
- Funds used for purchase of Bonus Books to meet patron demand for current bestsellers.
- Funds used toward the new Storymobile.