Friends of The James V Brown Library
The mission of the Friends of the Library is to assist the Library by funding materials, programs, and services beyond the Library’s regular budget, encourage volunteer service, promote the value of the Library to the citizens of Lycoming County, and advocate support of the Library.
Membership in Friends Association
The Friends association consists of all who pay the annual dues of $20 or more depending on the selected membership category.
Benefits of membership include admission to Friends only “Thursday preview night” at both the spring and fall public book sales, monthly specials at the Friends Bookstore, and the bi-monthly Shades of Brown award-winning newsletter with updates on Library and Friends activities. There is a general membership meeting annually.
To become a member of the Friends or renew your membership, fill out the form below, or click here and then print and mail (or drop off) the completed form to the library at.
James V. Brown Library
Friends of the JV Brown Library
19 East Fourth Street
Williamsport, PA 1770
This form is currently under maintenance. We apologize for the inconvenience.
Greg Thomas, President
Shirley Alters, Vice President
Shelby Weber, Secretary
Michael Pontius, Treasurer
- Become a member! Membership contributions make up over half of the Friends’ annual revenue and play a major role in our ability to fund special requests from the Library.
- Donate books, audio books, DVDs and music CDs you no longer need for resale in our bookstore and at spring and fall public book sales – our major fund raisers. (No moldy oldies please since we cannot resell them.)
- Purchase books, DVDs and/or music CDs at the Friends Bookstore.
- Attend our bargain-filled Book Sales in the spring and fall.
- Spread the word – tell friends/relatives/co-workers about our spring and fall Book Sales and our Used Book Store.
- Attend Friends-sponsored Book Review Luncheons generally scheduled on the first Friday of October, November, December, February, March, April and May.
- Support various other fund raisers during the year as announced.
- Volunteer at the book store, book sales, sorting area, or to help with mailings.
Since 2010, the Friends have provided more than $323,000 to support the Library in the following ways:
- Summer Learning Program
- Author Gala sponsorship
- Grants for local history digitization and the board game collection
- Adult programs
- Continuing education for staff
- Technology upgrades
- Capital campaign for the Welch
- Children’s Wing and Storymobile
- Facility improvements such as carpeting, the One-Button Studio, and more