Our Mission, Vision, and Values
The mission of the James V. Brown Library is to be the place to go, to learn, connect and grow.
The Strategic Plan is to Champion the Love of Reading, Open New Doors to Lifelong Learning, Provide a Haven for Those Who Seek, Make Brown the Place to Be, and to Ensure the Preservation of Public Library Services for Future Generations.
Vision and Focus for 2023
- Develop a new long-range plan for the next five years of Library service to the community (2023-2027).
- Implement Equity Goals into our new long-range plan.
- Reimagine our Public Services Team to become more of a top-notch reference, readers’ advisory and research engine that has the knowledge, skills and abilities to connect people with needed information and opportunities.
- Library-wide policy review and update to revisit and refine our processes, workflows, procedures and efficiencies.
- Actualize the Library’s new chapter of outreach by celebrating the eventual arrival of the three new outreach vehicles and demonstrating the impacts of a fleet of mobile library services
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
The James V. Brown Library is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in library services, collections, programs, and staff. By being a catalyst for change, maintaining an environment of respect, and eliminating barriers, we will set the standard for an equitable Williamsport and Lycoming County. We affirm our support of the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and guard against all forms of discrimination that impede access to information. The James V. Brown Library is an inclusive community hub where people intersect and thrive.
The Lycoming County Library System libraries are equitable, diverse, and inclusive community resources that strive to meet the needs of all Lycoming County citizens regardless of age, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, health, socioeconomic status, or veteran status.