Our Mission, Vision, and Values
The mission of the James V. Brown Library is to be the place to go, to learn, connect and grow.
The Strategic Plan is to Champion the Love of Reading, Open New Doors to Lifelong Learning, Provide a Haven for Those Who Seek, Make Brown the Place to Be, and to Ensure the Preservation of Public Library Services for Future Generations.
Vision and Focus for 2022
- Construct an Implementation Plan for our Next Chapter in Outreach and Ensure a Successful Build for the New Outreach Vehicles.
- Develop a Reimagined Collection Development and Management Plan that includes a Revitalized Local History Collection.
- Position the Library as a Community Leader.
- Transform the Library into a Family Destination/Event Venue.
- Implement Innovations in Technology Management.
- Enhance our Efforts in Family & Community Engagement.
- Create Opportunities for Life Long Learning with a Special Focus on Business Leadership and Technology Instruction for Local Small Business Owners and Community Benefit Organizations.
- Continue to Develop the Library’s Leadership and Staff.
- Innovate Marketing & Fund Development Practices that Connects with Every Member of Our Community.
- Continuously Make the Library A Welcoming Place for All with Facility Enhancements & Improvements.
Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Statement
The James V. Brown Library is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in library services, collections, programs, and staff. By being a catalyst for change, maintaining an environment of respect, and eliminating barriers, we will set the standard for an equitable Williamsport and Lycoming County. We affirm our support of the American Library Association’s Library Bill of Rights and guard against all forms of discrimination that impede access to information. The James V. Brown Library is an inclusive community hub where people intersect and thrive.
The Lycoming County Library System libraries are equitable, diverse, and inclusive community resources that strive to meet the needs of all Lycoming County citizens regardless of age, cultural background, disability, ethnicity, family status, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, health, socioeconomic status, or veteran status.