Applying for a US Passport at the LibraryWe are an official Passport Acceptance Facility and an authorized photo service.
Starting October 12, 2020, Passport Services is available for walk-in service – no appointment necessary. Expedited Passports now available. Expect significant delays. Travel advisory in effect. Learn more at U.S. Department of State website travel.state.gov
Passport hours are: Monday – Friday 10am to 5pm, Saturday 9am to 1pm.
For more information Please call (570) 326-0536, extension 112.
- All passport applicants must apply in person, regardless of age.
- When a child is under 16, both parents must be present and show identification when applying for their child’s passport. If one parent is unable to attend, a notarized Statement of Consent (DS-3053) from the absent parent can be used.
- Currently, routine passport processing is experiencing significant delays due to COVID-19. Routine service is 10 -12 weeks, expidited service is 4 – 6 weeks. (subject to change).
- If you need your passport urgently, please see: How to Get Your Passport in a Hurry (Currently, life-or-death emergenices only).
- Both Passport Card and Passport Book can be used in place of a REAL-ID complaint license for domestic commercial air travel. Due to COVID-19, REAL ID enforcement is postponed until October 1, 2021.
- Passport Card – Not for travel by air. Valid for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Canada, Mexico, Bermuda and the Caribbean only.
Please see the U.S. Department of State website for further information.
|Passport Card Fee||Passport Book Fee||Passport Card Fee||Passport Book Fee|
|Minors (under 16)||Minors (under 16)||Adult||Adult|
|check or money order only||check or money order only||check or money order only||check or money order only|
|Passport Fee is paid separately from Facility Fee|
|+ $35||+ $35||+ $35||+ $35|
|Facility Fee||Facility Fee||Facility Fee||Facility Fee|
|cash / check / money order / cc||cash / check / money order / cc||cash / check / money order / cc||cash / check / money order / cc|
- One (1) passport photo
Brown Library staff will take your passport photo for a $10 fee. Otherwise, see the passport guidelines (Guidelines available here).
- Passport Application Forms
You will need the DS-11 form to submit your application. The forms are available at the Library, or you can print them from the Passport Agency website.
- Proof of Citizenship
You need either a certified copy of your Birth Certificate issued by the city, county or state of your birth OR a current or previous U.S. Passport OR an original Certificate of Naturalization. As of April 1 2011, birth certificates now need to show the names of both parents. If both parents are not listed, the applicant will need apply for a new birth certificate.
- Proof of Identity
As proof of identity adults may show one of the following: a previous U.S. passport, a Naturalization Certificate, a current valid U.S. driver’s license, a U.S. state issued identification card, a Military I.D. card, or Government (city, state or federal) issued photo I.D. card.