WILLIAMSPORT, Pa. – The James V. Brown Library, 19 E. Fourth St., will reopen to the public with limited service on Monday, May 18, and guidelines in place to ensure the community’s health and safety.
Patrons will only be able to pick up holds at the Edwin Street entrance to the Welch Children’s Wing, and members of the public will not be allowed in the library building for any reason.
“The James V. Brown Library Board of Trustees and Staff have been anxiously waiting to reconnect with our community during this difficult time and we are so grateful to once again offer access to our collection to our community of readers,” said Barbara S. McGary, Executive Director of the James V. Brown Library. “Even though for the health and safety of our community we are only able to offer a holds-driven pick-up service of our collection at this time, we know that the ideas and stories that will be borrowed will add joy to the lives of the people we serve.”
To safeguard vulnerable populations and to maintain a rigorous cleaning schedule, the library will permit holds pickup during the following hours:
- Monday through Friday – 9-10 a.m. for vulnerable populations; 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. for the general public.
- Saturday – 9-10 a.m. for vulnerable populations; 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. for the general public.
- Closed Sunday for deep cleaning.
The library will slowly reopen in phases, the first one being accepting materials back from the public, quarantining those items for three days before re-shelving them, and filling hold requests for patrons. All due dates have been extended to June 8.
Patrons may place holds online under “Books/Movies/Music” at jvbrown.edu or by calling 570-326-0536 and speaking to a staff member. Holds will not be accepted in person and will only be filled for items at the James V. Brown Library. No inter-library loans will take place, nor will any materials be retrieved from other Lycoming County libraries at this time.
At this time, patrons are limited to 10 items per transaction on teen and adult cards, and 20 items per transaction for children 12 and younger. There will be no fees during this time for DVDs.
Once you receive confirmation that your holds are ready for pickup, please follow the library’s guidelines for safely retrieving them:
- Enter through the Welch Children’s Wing entrance along Edwin Street and stay six feet apart in accordance with social distancing policies.
- Families will be asked to only have one person enter the building to pick up holds.
- All patrons must wear face masks.
Other guidelines to keep the community safe include:
- All items must be returned to book drops at the Welch Children’s Wing, in the front of the building along West Fourth Street, or on the side of the building via State Street. Staff cannot accept returns.
- For general reference questions, call 570-326-0536 or fill out the Contact Us form at jvbrown.edu.
- The Friends Bookstore will not be open.
- The Friends of the James V. Brown Library are NOT accepting book donations. Please keep your book donations at home or donate them to another organization at this time.
The library staff thanks you for your patience and understanding during this unprecedented time.