The James V. Brown Library’s Summer Learning Program isn’t just for children. This summer, new and exciting activities have been planned to help adults reach their lifelong learning goals.
- Adult Laser Tag at Brandon Park – 5 p.m. June 20, July 18 and August 15. Bring a friend and join us at the Brandon Park bandshell to play outdoor games.
- Cooks Book Club – 12 p.m. third Tuesday of each month, July 17 and August 21. We pick a theme and select several cookbooks, you pick and make a recipe, then we all get together to share the finished products. Themes include Sweet and Savory Fruit, and Fresh from the Garden.
- Graphic Novel Discussion Group – 6:30 p.m. Thursday, July 26 and August 23. Join us and share your passion for illustrated literature. We will discuss topics such as plot, artistic style, characters, and more. If you’ve recently read a comic that you love let us know!
- Open Art Studio – 10 a.m. Friday, June 29, July 27 and August 24. This program will delve into the creative process of rendering art. Join us as we explore art mediums and experiment with mark making techniques. Art materials will be provided. You may bring your own sketchbook or materials if you would like to. All levels of art experience are welcome!
- Transform It DIY – 1:30 p.m. Friday, July 13 and August 10. All supplies are provided, just be sure to register so we have enough. Projects include rock candle holders and wind chimes.
Don’t forget to check out the ongoing programs such as Informal Bridge Gathering on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-11:30 a.m.; Needles and Yarn from 12-2 p.m. on Thursdays; and Write Now community open writing sessions at 5 p.m. on the first Tuesday of each month.
These programs support the PA Forward state initiative by providing social and civic literacy opportunities for learning and highlighting the transformative nature of public libraries within a community. Libraries contribute to education, employment, entrepreneurship, engagement and empowerment but are often overlooked as catalysts for powerful individual and community change.
Visit calendar.jvbrown.edu to register or call 570-326-0536.
The James V. Brown Library is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday; noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; and 24/7 at www.jvbrown.edu.