The James V. Brown Library, 19 E. Fourth St., has announced its schedule for fall Baby Bump and Baby programs for parents and parents-to-be.
Did you know that a baby’s brain has achieved 75 percent of its adult weight and volume by age 2? This is why it is important to read to children and participate in activities such as library storytime.
Several programs for expecting and new parents include:
- Baby Café – First Wednesday of the month at 10:30 a.m. September 4, October 2, and November 6. This group is a safe, child-friendly environment facilitated by a board-certified lactation consultant. Exchange tips about breastfeeding, receive breastfeeding support and discuss parenting concerns with other moms. Mothers are encouraged to bring babies. Free weight checks for baby are also provided.
- Baby Rhyme Time – First and third Wednesdays of the month at 9:30 a.m. August 21; September 4 and 18; October 2 and 16; and November 6 and 20. This is an early literacy program led by a children’s librarian.
- Baby Pat-a-Cake Play Group – Fourth Monday of the month at 10:30 a.m. August 26, September 23, October 28, and November 25. Come and make new friends! Soft mats are set up for tummy and back time. This informal play group is mom-to-mom led.
- Baby Steps Through the Years: A Mommy and Me Footprint Memory Craft – Third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 a.m. September 18, October 16, and November 20. Once a month come and make a keepsake baby footprint craft.
- Improving Birth Network Parenting Classes – Second Tuesday of the month at 6 p.m. These classes are led by a certified doula.
- August 13 – Prenatal Prep: First Trimester. Congratulations, you are pregnant! So what’s next? Come learn about options for health care and how to navigate the first trimester of your pregnancy.
- September 10 – Prenatal Prep Second Trimester. Beyond morning sickness, now what? Come learn about your growing baby and what you can do now to better prepare for the final trimester of pregnancy.
- October 8 – Prenatal Prep Third Trimester. The big day is coming, are you ready? Come learn how to be better prepared for labor and the birth of your baby!
- Baby Wearing Support Group – Third Wednesday of the month at 10:30 a.m. September 18 and October 16. This is an opportunity for you to come and learn from other parents about the different kinds of carriers that are available: wraps, ring slings, pouch slings, Mei Tais, and buckle and cloth carriers. This is an informal group that is parent-facilitated. Please feel free to bring your own carriers from home to share with the group.
- Infant Massage 5-week class – This class meets at 10:30 a.m. September 10, 17, 24 and October 1 and 8. This program is for babies up to 12 months old. The program follows the international curriculum founded by Vimala McClure. It blends knowledge and practice, includes massage and discussion, is for all parents and babies, and is simple and enjoyable. This program is led by a certified infant massage instructor.
The Brown Library is part of a national “Libraries Transform” effort to increase awareness of the changing role of libraries and the ways in which libraries are transforming to meet the information needs of their users.
Registration is required for some programs. Visit calendar.jvbrown.edu to register or call 570-326-0536.
The James V. Brown Library is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday; noon to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; and 24/7 at www.jvbrown.edu.