The James V. Brown Library and Snowden Library of Lycoming College have collaborated for a year-long book discussion group.
The CollegeTown Book Chat Society is a joint effort to engage members of the Lycoming College community and patrons of James V. Brown Library in a yearlong exploration of books from different genres focused on a single theme. For this coming year, the group has chosen six books related to World War I in honor of its centennial.
The group will meet every other month. The third meeting will be held at noon on Tuesday, January 20th at the Brown Library and will focus on the autobiography, “The Red Fighter Pilot: The Autobiography of the Red Baron,” by Manfred von Richthofen.
“The James V. Brown Library is so excited to focus on World War I this year and to begin a new collaboration with the Snowden Library,” said Melissa Rowse, assistant director of the Brown Library. “We hope to build social and civic literacy by connecting the community with conversations around books.”
Registration is encouraged but not required and may be made at http://jvbrown.evanced.info/signup/EventCalendar.aspx.
Books are available for checkout from both Lycoming College and the James V. Brown Library. The reading list for the year and upcoming meeting dates are:
- Nonfiction: “The Zimmermann Telegram” by Barbara W. Tuchman, 12 p.m. Sept. 23, James V. Brown Library.
- Mystery: “Shoulder the Sky” by Anne Perry, 12 p.m. Nov. 18, Snowden Library, Lycoming College.
- Biography: “The Red Fighter Pilot: The Autobiography of the Red Baron” by Manfred von Richthofen, 12 p.m. Jan. 20, James V. Brown Library.
- Women: “Fighting on the Home Front: The Legacy of Women in World War One” by Kate Adie, 12 p.m. March 17, Snowden Library, Lycoming College.
- Thriller: “The Star of Istanbul” by Robert Olen Butler, 12 p.m. May 19, James V. Brown Library.
- Historical Fiction: “Wake” by Anna Hope, 12 p.m. July 21, Snowden Library, Lycoming College.
The James V. Brown Library is open from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Friday, and noon to 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday and 24/7 at www.jvbrown.edu.
Snowden Library is open to the community from 7:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday during the Fall and Spring semesters. For complete hours for the community, visit http://www.lycoming.edu/library/about/hoursCommunity.aspx